Once the extended warranty ends

Forums Model S Once the extended warranty ends

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mark 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Michael
    Participant

Is anyone with an older S running without an extended warranty? How bad are repair costs?

TeslaKen
    Keymaster

Individual Member

That sort of assumes there is something to repair right? The ongoing maintenance for the Model S should be far less than an ICE car. I think the labor rate over at the service center is either $125 or $150 an hour so that’s in line with what other dealerships charge, independent shops are usually $85-$120/hr. So labor is going to be about the same, the only question is what about parts or how much labor it takes to do something. A Model S is far easier to work on that a typical ICE car so the amount of time needed to fix/swap/repair something should again be less than an ICE car. Unless the part is something major like a drive unit, I don’t see there being an issue with parts costs either but if someone has had an issue then I hope they report it here.

Michael
    Participant

Since I went onto the extended extended warranty I have had two service calls. So that was $400. If I remember correctly to total absent the warranty would have been $1100ish.

TeslaKen
    Keymaster

Individual Member

So your extended warranty charges you when you get service? Usually if you get an extended warranty that is bumper to bumper then everything is covered, unless your warranty has some sort of deductible that you have to pay first. Who did you get your extended warranty through and what were the terms?

What items failed during your extended warranty?

Karl Bloss
    Participant

The Tesla extended warranty has a deductible. If I read correctly, it’s $200 per service visit.

https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty-ms-mx

In my mind it’s an insurance policy for when big stuff fails, kinda like health insurance. I don’t insure myself against regular doctor visits but rather against appendectomies, leg breaks, i.e. the big stuff that would bankrupt you. Similarly with the MS. Theoretically there shouldn’t as much to fail on an EV, but there are still big ticket items like touch screens, A/C compressors, etc.

I still have another year to think about it, but I’m seriously considering either the 2 or 4-year extended warranty simply because the MS is an unknown.

-Karl

Michael
    Participant

Karl is correct. This is the post 45000 mile warranty. It’s saved me $700 so far.

Mark
    Participant

I’m at 55K, and outside of tires, nothing has had to be repaired/replaced so far on my 2015 Model S. I haven’t even added washer fluid yet. When I did get new tires, I had Tesla do a full alignment for $150: one tire was slightly out of alignment, so MAYBE it was worth it. But I figured an alignment one of those important things for more roll and less resistance, so maybe I can go another foot or two on a charge now? I will post any repairs to the forum though. Oh yeah – I also made a 13-50 to 14-50 extension/conversion cable, so I can easily plug into a dryer connection. Just be sure to turn your car down on the amperage draw if you do such a thing. Home Depot – maybe $35 in parts? I turned mine down to 24 amps, since the dryer plug is 30. SOMEDAY maybe I will have a real, live 240V 50a connection. So far, I have only used a 120V outlet – isn’t that sad? But it must be 20 amps or something like this, I charge at 4mph on it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Model S Once the extended warranty ends

Skip to toolbar