Real, Live Maintenance

Forums TOC KC Forum Real, Live Maintenance

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TeslaKen 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mark
    Participant

Individual Member

I purchased a used Model S, but a lot of people ask me about maintenance on electric cars. So I have decided to start a thread on actual, real live maintenance for Teslas. I have talked with the guys at the Service Center, and while it sounds like maintenance is super low, I thought it would be great if we posted what we have actually had for maintenance, so we get a better idea of what DOES happen. I mean, with the Tesloop Model S at 400K miles, I ask myself how much would I pay for that car? It drives 17K miles a month, and looks good inside and out. I’d buy it – so shouldn’t I buy ANY Tesla with 150K miles or more? We will find out as the years go by!
    I bought my Model S with 42K miles on it. Today it has 52K miles. I did have a coolant pump go out while it had less than 50K miles, so Telsa took care of that for free. Other than that, I believe the tires were original, so I bought a set of winter tires, which I am swapping out next week.
    Has anyone else had any real maintenance on their cars? It sounds like I will NEVER need new brakes – which seems SO odd . . .

Mark
    Participant

Individual Member

I purchased new summer tires at Discount Tire on Metcalf and 119th yesterday. They talked me into “sticky performance tires.” All I can say is “WOW!” W. O. W. And I mean “Wow.” If you own a performance Tesla, I highly recommend these Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I used an app on my phone to see what my 10, 20 and 40mph times were on the way there, and with my winter tires, the app registered about 0.7 secs per 10 mph. As I drove out of their parking lot with these new “sticky” tires on, I could hear a lot of sand/rocks being thrown up by them and I thought “is that what they mean by sticky? They surely seem to throw debris a lot more . . . I am not sure that I like THAT.” But when I stepped on it off the line, I felt the results: the 10 mph time was 0.3 sec, 20 mph was 0.6 sec and at 1.2 sec I was going 40 mph. And I could FEEL the acceleration difference. So now the big question is how accurate are these apps? Does anyone have access to a solid acceleration device that can accurately gauge these times? I would really like to borrow one, or at some point, I might wind up buying one that we could all share. I think I would like to own one, but you’d probably use it a few times in each car you own, and the other 362 days a year, it will collect dust. Now, these tires do seem to be a bit more loud that the original tires that were on the car, but the traction indicator hasn’t gone off (it did with the winter tires, all the time for me) and when you can FEEL the difference, well, there you go. I got that EV “facial skin dragging back” and “internal organ shift” feeling again . . . I simply cannot imagine what the new Roadster is going to feel like . . . 0-60 in 1.9 seconds (or probably less) will be simply amazing!

TeslaKen
    Keymaster

Individual Member

Thanks for sharing your maintenance stories with everyone. I’m sure you probably saw how Tesla has now said annual maintenance really isn’t necessary in many instances and they would rather you get your car fixed only when it does need fixed and that for many things they will alert you in advance.

BTW the 4S tires are very good and very sticky BUT below 40mph get hard and lose traction fast so avoid driving them in colder temps if you can.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums TOC KC Forum Real, Live Maintenance

Skip to toolbar