Trailer hitch for Model S

Forums Model S Trailer hitch for Model S

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Karl Bloss
    Participant

Has anyone put a trailer hitch on their Model S to use a receiver hitch bike rack? I saw this one, but I’m not sure who would be a recommended installer:

EcoHitch for Tesla Model S

My reasoning is to be able to carry bikes with my Model S without putting them into the back. Another alternative would be to get a roof rack.

TIA,

-Karl

TeslaKen
    Keymaster

Individual Member

Karl,
    Wasn’t that the hitch that had the corrosion problem shown in the one youtube video? I think the company claimed they had reworked how they coated the parts so that steel wouldn’t be touching aluminum but I was shocked by that video because I have a classic car that is part aluminum and part steel in the body and it never looked as bad as that hitch did when it was pulled off in the video. If that is the same one, I would consider getting the hitch powder coated before installing it and making sure there is a thin layer of insulating rubber between the steel hitch and the aluminum frame/bumper member.

I asked at the service center yesterday if they knew of any local cars with this hitch and they did not.

Karl Bloss
    Participant

I didn’t recall seeing the video, but I guess it makes sense based on setting up a galvanic cell. Ideally, Tesla would sanction one, but I don’t see that happening. Maybe I’ll have to stick with a rooftop carrier, but it’s such a PITA to hoist a heavy e-bike up there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Model S Trailer hitch for Model S

Skip to toolbar